Includes: Benny Anderson, Amanda Auchter, Rebecca Morgan Frank, Alice Fulton, David Gewanter, Henry Israeli, Stephen Kampa, Joan Kane, Peter Kline, Michael Lally, Jenna Le, David Lehman, Peter Levitt, Alan Michael Parker, Alexander Pushkin, Sherod Santos & Tomas Tranströmer. Cover Art: Rashawn Griffin, Im Dying, Its Okay. Lets Go!, 2013. Cover Design: Stephen Reichert.
- » Young People Will Have White Hair by Carson Cistulli
- » I Am Not Here to Buy the Leopard by Rebecca Hazelton
- » The Moon Is So Smart by Andrea Henchey
Includes: Don Bogen, Carson Cistulli, Denise Duhamel, Jill Alexander Essbaum, Aaron Fagan, Norman Finkelstein, Eamon Grennan, Megan Harlan, Rebecca Hazelton, Sean Patrick Hill, Tony Hoagland, Timothy Liu, Maurice Manning, Chris Mason, Shane McCrae, Robert Pinsky, Michele Poulos, Gretchen Steele Pratt, Chris Preddle, Natalie Shapero, Connie Voisine, Paul Watsky, Terence Winch, Mark Wisniewski, Geoffrey Woolf and more.
Includes: Poems by Sherman Alexie, Rae Armantrout, Aaron Belz, Pat Boran, Todd Boss, Victoria Chang, Michael Collier, Gregory Djanikian, Stephen Dunn, Nancy Eimers, Rebecca Foust, Richard Jackson, Richard Jones, Yusef Komunyakaa, Alex Lemon, Rebecca Lindenberg, Thomas Lux, Ange Mlinko, Carl Phillips, Philip Schultz, Valerie Wohlfeld, David Yezzi...
- » Middle Space by Chris Haven
- » The Ohio Poem by Amy Pickworth
- » What is More Distracting Than Clouds by Matthew Rohrer
Includes: Ralph Angel, Elizabeth Bishop (15 pages of previously unpublished letters where she discusses editing her poems), Don Bogen, Gaylord Brewer, Richard Chess, James Cihlar, Lynnell Edwards, Annie Finch, Carolyn Guinzio, Matt Hart, Mark Irwin, Davis McCombs, Howard Moss, Kristy Odelius, Matthew Rohrer, Karoly Sandor, Katharine S. White, Susan Wood & many more.
Includes: The contests are the same as the regular issue however the cover is a one-of-a-kind made by an artist friend of Smartish Pace. The covers are made of everything from oil paint to collage. Watch the making of the covers. Trust us, you'll love it; everyone gets a different cover!
- » Coincidence by A. Loudermilk
- » The Two Pyrenees by Gerald Stern
- » The Emptiness by Terence Winch
Includes: Elizabeth Arnold, Michael Collier, Stephen Cushman, Norman Dubie, Katie Ford, Eamon Grennan, Terrance Hayes, Jay Hopler, William Logan, Khaled Mattawa, Charles Martin, Sandra McPherson, Carol Muske-Dukes, Amjad Nasser, Jennifer Perrine, John Poch, Barbara Ras, Aram Saroyan, Kim Stafford, Gerald Stern, Tyrone Williams, Terence Winch, Jennie Wrisley & more!
Includes: The contests are the same as the regular issue however the cover is a one-of-a-kind made by an artist friend of Smartish Pace. The covers are made of everything from oil paint to collage. Watch the making of the covers. Trust us, you'll love it; no two covers are the same!
- » Inside Out by Vona Groarke
- » If Contra Descartes by A.L. Nielsen
- » Ripe by Mark Wisniewski
Includes: Sherman Alexie, Dick Allen, Rick Barot, Bruce Bond, Michael Chitwood, Alan Feldman, Carol Frost, Pamela Germin, Vona Groarke, Philip Gross, Brenda Hillman, Richard Jones, Laura Kasischke, Wayne Miller, A.E. Nielsen, Mary Quade, James Richardson, David Rivard, Sappho, Alan Shapiro, Chase Twichell, Leslie Ullman and more!
- » Beheading Bacchus by Chad Davidson
- » The Umbrella by Jennifer Grotz
- » Hope is a Thing with Feathers that Smacks Into a Window by Bob Hicok
- » Comparative Fates by David Lehman
Includes: Jim Daniels, Carl Dennis, B.H. Fairchild, Sandra M. Gilbert, Leah Goldberg, Brooks Haxton, Bob Hicok, David Kirby, John Koethe, David Lehman, Gail Mazur, Campbell McGrath, Gregory Orr, Lia Purpura, Jacques Reda, Reginald Shepherd, Elizabeth Spires, Diane Wakoski and many more.
- » The Fox Explains the Dream of Foxes by Hannah Craig
- » Black Running from the Faucet by Mary Crow
- » Begin in Gladness by James Harms
Includes: Aliki Barnstone, Claire Bateman, Adrian Blevins, Mary Crow, James Galvin, Linda Gregerson, Alex Lemon, Phillis Levin, Lisa Lewis, Joanie Mackowski, Maurice Manning, D.A. Powell, Alberto Rios, Rosanna Warren, Terence Winch, Robert Wrigley, Contemporary Indian translations, and more.
- » Short Lyrics by Scott Cairns
- » Pure Love by Tony Hoagland
- » Song for Eight Aprils by Peter Kline
- » Floating Hearts by R.M. Ryan
Includes: Scott Cairns, C.P. Cavafy, Nicole Cooley, Tony Hoagland, Susan Howe, Christopher Howell, Timothy Liu, Shara McCallum, Medbh McGuckian, Liam Rector, R.M. Ryan, A.E. Stallings, Marilyn L. Taylor, Charles Harper Webb and more.
- » Hockey Haikus by Chad Davidson
- » Forecast by Julie Hanson
- » A Glimpse of Alaska by John Kinsella
- » Tiepolo in Venice by Molly McQuade
- » Clouds by Greg Williamson
- » Snow by Greg Williamson
Includes: Betty Adcock, Stephen Cushman, Jim Daniels, Denise Duhamel, Lola Haskins, Bob Hicok, John Kinsella, Jerzy Kronhold, Molly McQuade, Eric Pankey, Giovanni Pascoli, Arthur Rimbaud, Sarah Sousa, Joan Swift, Jordan Smith, Henry Taylor, Susan Thomas, Lee Upton, Nance Van Winckel, William Wenthe, Greg Williamson and more.
- » Tijuana Clinic by Dorothy Barresi
- » A Stranger Here Myself by Daniel Groves
- » Three Poems of Sulpicia by John Hollander
- » The Deer Bride by Ted Kooser
Includes: 50 pages of contemporary German poetry and poems by Dorothy Barresi, Michael Burkard, Rafael Campo, Claudia Emerson, Daniel Groves, John Hollander, Sarah Kennedy, Ted Kooser, David Rivard, R.M. Ryan, Megan Snyder-Camp, Daniel Tobin, Anna Ziegler and more.
- » Bravo by Dick Allen
- » The Publisher Calls It Quits by Bruce Bennett
- » Four Aunts by Frederick Buechner
- » I Must Admit by Clarinda Harriss
- » Consequence 895-3333
Includes: Dick Allen, Bruce Benett, Frederick Buechner, David Citino, Patricia Clark, Peter Cooley, Mark Cox, Chard deNiord, Carl Dennis, Stephen Dunn, Claudia Emerson, Ray Gonzalez, Allen Grossman, Mark Halliday, Mark Halperin, Richard Jones, Claudia Keelan, XJ Kennedy, David Kirby, William Logan, Campbell McGrath, David Middleton, Ed Pavlic, Lawrence Raab, Sherod Santos, Maurya Simon, Deborah Tall, Diane Thiel, Henry Weinfield, William Wenthe, Stephen Yenser and more.
- » Jacopone: House by David Gewanter
- » A Premise from the Morning Paper by Andrew Hudgins
- » The Abominable Snowman by Ron Koertge
- » Poem Beginning with a Line by Rumi by Alicia Ostriker
Includes: Dick Allen, Gaylord Brewer, Joel Brouwer, Maxine Chernoff, Mark Cox, Tony Curtis, Stephen Cushman, Gary Fincke, Mark Halliday, Allison Joseph, Joanna Klink, Ron McFarland, Paul Muldoon, Ed Pavlic, Duncan Primeaux, Katrina Roberts, Barry Spacks, Lisa Russ Sparr, Elizabeth Spires, William Wenthe, David Young.
- » The Last Place on Earth by Gaylord Brewer
- » Bioluminescence is a Big Word by Stephen Cushman
- » For Here by Duncan Primeaux
Includes: Gaylord Brewer, Joel Brouwer, Stephen Cushman, Duncan Primeaux.
- » Big Screen by Pamela Alexander
- » The Green Grass of the Wind by Michael Burkard
- » A Practical Reader by Carl Dennis
- » In Formation by Robert Murphy
- » The Hay of Yesteryear by Marilyn Nelson
- » 49 Views of Childhood by Bin Ramke
- » Six Short Poems by Henry Taylor
Includes: Frederick Buechner, Maxine Kumin, William Logan, David Starkey, and many more.
- » Sumerian Angel Over Iraq by Janet Bowdan
- » On First Looking Into Mazeroski’s Homer by Jim Crenner
- » Milk Train by Stuart Dybek
- » Come Into My Garden by Allen Grossman
- » Dead Whale by Rachel Hadas
- » Song of the Andoumboulou: 55 by Nathaniel Mackey
- » Instruction by Lynne McMahon
- » The Prophets by Jay Parini
- » Radiance by Carl Phillips
Includes: Coleman Barks, Jeanne Marie Beaumont, Robin Becker, Janet Bowdan, Rachel Hadas, Allen Grossman, James Harms, Claudia Keelan,X.J. Kennedy, Nathaniel Mackey,Peter Meinke, Carl Phillips, Barbara Ras, Harvey Shapiro, Vivian Shipley, Diane Wakoski.
- » Talk Radio by Michelle Boisseau
- » Jesus Comes to My Hometown by E. Michael Desilets
- » Track by Norman Finkelstein
- » Detour Ahead. Seek Alternate Route by Richard Jackson
- » Music For a While by Mark Jarman
- » Unsolicited by Paul Mariani
- » My Father's Words by Shara McCallum
- » Form Letter by Charles Rafferty
Includes: Gaylord Brewer, Derick Burleson, Susan Cavanaugh, Mark DeFoe,E. Michael Desilets, Irving Feldman, Gary Fincke, Mark Jarman, Julia Kasdorf, Timothy Liu, Demetria Martinez, Sherod Santos, Natasha Trethewey, David Wagoner.
- » Speech is Designed to Persuade by Mary Jo Bang
- » Mrs. Budweiser by David Kirby
- » The Ruin by Cleopatra Mathis
- » In Memory of Brother Dave Gardner by Henry Taylor
- » I'll Always Remember What's-Her-Name by Charles Harper Webb
- » Tenderness by Susan Wood
Includes: Rick Alley, Mary Jo Bang, Coleman Barks, Bruce Bennett, Gaylord Brewer, David Citino, Stephen Cushman, Claudia Emerson, Gayle Elen Harvey, David Kirby, Mary Gilliland, Cleopatra Mathis, Christina Pugh, Timothy Steele, Henry Taylor, Susan Wood, Reetika Vazirani, Charles Harper Webb, David Wagoner.
- » Rule Number 12 by Max Diamond
- » By Design by Stephen Dunn
- » The Guy You Work With by John Grey
- » Barbie by Stella Padnos
- » A Thick Book by Barry Spacks
Includes: Barry Ballard, Richard Broderick, Stephen Dunn, Richard Fein, John Grey, John Hazard, Michael Hettich, Allison Joseph, John McKernan, Barbara F. Lefcowitz, Jacqueline McLean, Martin McGowan, Simon Perchik, S.W. Rickett, Dennis Saleh, Simon Serfozo, Marc J. Sheehan, Adele Steiner, Diane Thiel.
- » Elders of the Sty by Edmund August
- » Driving Through Luckey by Liz Beasley
- » Sex by Joyce S. Brown
- » Fishing by Richard Jones
- » Epicurus in Denver by Burton Raffel
- » Third Avenue by Stephen Sandy
- » Ballade of the Open Mike by Marilyn L. Taylor
Includes: Edmund August, Liz Beasley, Joyce S. Brown, Richard Jones, Burton Raffel, Stephen Sandy, Marilyn L. Taylor.
- » Dancing by Oscar Amaya
- » Questions for Bedlamites by John Ditsky
- » One Short Thought by James Dye
- » Clowns Beside the River of Laughter by Scott Gallaway
- » Mr. Collins Attends the School of Absence by Stuart Lishan
- » Winter in Ylorak by Karoly Sandor
- » The Dance by Tricia Yost
Includes: Oscar Amaya, John Ditsky, James Dye, Scott Gallaway, Stuart Lishan, Caroly Sandor, Tricia Yost.
Includes: Listed as a Friend for one issue, with a complimentary two-year subscription.
Includes: Listed as an Associate for two years, with a complimentary four-year subscription.
Includes: Listed as a Patron for three years, with a complimentary ten-year subscription.
Includes: Listed as a Sponsor for four years, with a complimentary lifetime subscription.
Includes: Listed as Benefactor for five years, with two complimentary lifetime subscriptions.
Includes: This is an "at cost" rate for additional copies for poets who have work in Smartish Pace.
- Poet James Fenton wins Pen Pinter Prize (June 16th, 2015)
- Juan Felipe Herrera is named U.S. poet laureate (June 10th, 2015)
- Louise Glück awarded Gold Medal for Poetry (June 1st, 2015)
- Poetry Foundation Announces Winner of the 2015 Pegasus Award for Poetry Criticism (May 28th, 2015)
- Franz Wright, a Pulitzer Prize-winning poet, Dies at 62 (May 15th, 2015)
—for my friend Sarah
A woman leaves a man and a child
& for years they leave messages on my machine.
Quando, he said softly yesterday and then sang
A few more words before he hung up.
Last week the little boy’s Mama, mi Mama &
other words I don’t remember but for the sound—
Every A and O a deep hollow
You could fall in listening:
“Come home Mama,” in English.
When I open the blind today
The swallows fly towards the window
And over the house.
Earlier the well stopped running.
The dog barks even when no one is there.
There’s a consequence for everything.
The birds find the empty cottonwoods,
I trigger the latch and the water flows,
The dog sleeps, banished to the laundry room.
There’s a shape the exact dimension
Of my father’s death, not a picture, but a song
That travels from head to belly—
And a place below my ribcage
Where Sarah lives, two children gone now,
One to go.
On the her wall overlooking the woods,
The girls still walks across the spider’s web
Palms turned upward and empty.
I know I should call them,
The man and the boy,
& tell them they have the wrong number.
“I am not your wife—”
& “forgive me baby, I can’t come home today—”
My voice a shape
They leave her absence with
For a few minutes each week.
What’s the consequence of that?
She, whoever she is, runs above
The phone wires, always just
Ahead of the call,
Blossoming, without pity or reward,
In my voice.